If you don’t know already, your vaginal walls are actually elastic. This means they can stretch over time as you give birth or after menopause. However, the elasticity also ensures that your vaginal muscles can return to their original shape in no time.
With age and child bearing, the pelvic floor muscles surrounding the vagina are bound to weaken, it’s almost inevitable. This is called vaginal laxity. This guide will help you understand the cause of vaginal laxity aka the loosening of vagina and how to tighten your vaginal walls using only natural and at-home remedies.
What Causes a Loose Vagina?
Hormonal fluctuations and physical strain or stress on the vagina as well as other pelvic organs can potentially lead to vaginal laxity.
Some of the common causes include:
- Vaginal childbirth which stretches muscles, tendons and vaginal walls
- Reduced estrogen levels caused by menopause
- Decreased estrogen levels due to health issues
- Aging muscles and tendons creating a weakened pelvic floor
- A woman’s genetivally determined physical structure
What are the Symptoms of Vaginal Laxity
Symptoms of a loose vagina includes:
- Vaginal dryness
- Vaginal pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse
- Unusual bleeding after coitus
- Lack of lubrication during intercourse
- Urinary incontinence
- Burning sensation during urination
- Unexpected and urgent needs of urinating
- Frequent urinary tract infections (UTI)
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Burning or itching sensation in the vaginal or vulvar areas
- Decreased libido
- Lack of sexual arousal
- Poor sexual satisfaction during intercourse
How to Tighten Vagina Naturally At Home?
There are several techniques practised to tighten the vaginal walls, this includes cosmetic surgeries like vaginoplasty and labiaplasty, etc. These reconstructive procedures require surgery, and similar with any other invasive, surgical procedures, they pose many side effects.
Here’s a low down of the methods you can use to tighten the vaginal walls:
A. Kegel Exercises
This exercise is a rather popular way of tightening the vagina naturally and consists of short, easy steps that contract and relax your pelvic floor muscles. Such an exercise can help strengthen your pelvic floor muscles and help prevent problems such as painful urination, painful sexual intercourse, bladder leakage, incomplete bowel movement, and frequent urination. This, combined with pelvic tilt exercises, you can expect to tighten your vagina in no time whatsoever.
To begin, you may use the following steps to perform a successful kegel exercise and build pelvic muscle strength:
- Empty your bladder before beginning
- Tighten your pelvic muscles, hold them as your count to 10, and then release
- Repeat this 10-15 times per set
- Perform one set up to 3 times a day to yield the best results
B. Yoga and Pilates
Both yoga and pilates make excellent exercises for vaginal tightening. They help stretch your body and promote vaginal elasticity, apart from boosting your pelvic muscle strength. Yoga poses recommended to tighten the vagina include setu asana (bridge pose), ustrasana (camel pose), and shalabhasana (locust pose). Pilates will deliver the same effect, just make sure you incorporate the bridge when doing so.
C. Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy
A professional physiotherapist can help curate a bespoke exercise regimen for you based on your pelvic floor function. The main purpose of this therapy is to improve the condition of the pelvic floor muscles, which is attained through regular exercises, lifestyle changes, awareness and treatment.
Pelvic floor physiotherapy will also deal with muscles involving the urinary, bowel and sexual function in your body. The exercises that are tailored for you will be based on the unique conditions of your vaginal canal and overall vaginal health.
D. Vaginal Toning Device
There exists simple and easy to use vaginal toning devices you can use to regain the original shape of your vaginal. There three most popular tools include:
- Vaginal weights: These vaginal tightening devices are inserted into the vagina and the contraction of the pelvic floor muscles to keep them in place. This also helps strengthen the muscles.
- Barbells: These tools help strengthen your vaginal muscles and tighten your vaginal walls through intense weight lifting.
- Vaginal Cones: These tools are to train the pelvic floor muscles when inserted into the vagina.
E. A Well Balanced, Nutritious Diet
Having a healthy diet will also contribute to a healthy vagina that is free of infections. Many superfoods can help tighten your vagina and strengthen the vaginal tissue. You may consider incorporating the following food to your diet:
- Green tea: The catechins in green tea helps cleanse the urinary tract.
- Probiotics: Natural probiotics such as yogurt, kimchi, miso and tempeh help maintain a balance between useful and harmful bacteria.
- Organic tofu and edamame: These superfoods contain isoflavones, a compound that possesses many estrogenic qualities to tighten the vaginal walls.
F. Herbal Treatments
Herbal creams and sprays can work wonders in treating vaginal laxity. Always consult your gynaecologist for professional recommendations to make sure what you’re using is non-toxic and safe for vaginal application.
What Doesn’t Work
Albeit popular beliefs, vaginal tightening pills don’t work. They claim to feature all-natural ingredients and promise miraculous, long-term results; however, there’s no scientific research that can back up their claims. In some cases, these pills may even pose harmful side effects—plenty of “natural” ingredients can cause adverse reactions. So always be on the lookout for pills and products that are too good to be true.