Editor’s Choice Microderm Glo Mini Diamond Microdermabrasion and Suction Tool Latest price 2nd Best Choice
Dreaming of that sun-kissed radiance without the sunburn? A spray tan machine might just be your golden ticket! But before you step into the world of bronzed beauty, there are a few key things you need to know. From prepping your skin to choosing the perfect attire, let’s dive into the ultimate guide on what to do and wear before a spray tan. Get ready to unlock the secrets to a flawless, head-turning glow that’s sure to leave everyone wondering where you’ve been vacationing! From exfoliation to wardrobe choices, here’s a comprehensive guide on what to do and wear before your spray tan session.
How you Prep Yourself?
One of the crucial steps before getting a spray tan is exfoliation. This process removes dead skin cells and ensures an even application of the tanning solution. Begin exfoliating a day or two before your appointment, focusing on areas prone to dryness like elbows, knees, and ankles. Use a gentle scrub or exfoliating mitt to achieve a smooth canvas for the tan to adhere to.
If you plan to shave or wax, do so at least 24 hours before your spray tan session. Hair removal shortly after the tan can lead to uneven fading and splotchy patches. By giving your skin ample time to recover, you’ll help maintain the tan’s consistency and longevity.
While exfoliation is essential, it’s equally crucial to keep your skin hydrated. However, avoid applying moisturizer on the day of your spray tan, as it can create a barrier between your skin and the tanning solution, leading to uneven results. Moisturize regularly leading up to your appointment to achieve the right balance of hydration.
Makeup and Accessories
If you’re planning to wear makeup or accessories to your spray tan appointment, keep it minimal. Makeup can create a barrier that hinders the tanning solution’s effectiveness. Remove any makeup and accessories before the session to ensure a seamless tan application.
Nail Polish and Jewellery
While nail polish and jewellery won’t impact the spray tan application, it’s a good idea to remove them before the session. This allows the tanning solution to reach every part of your skin, preventing any potential discoloration or unevenness.
What to Expect During Your Spray Tan?
Arrive at your appointment with clean, exfoliated skin. The tanning technician may provide you with disposable undergarments or guide you on what to wear.
Expect a brief discussion about your desired tan shade, any skin sensitivities, and any questions you might have.
You’ll be directed to a designated area where the magic happens. The technician will explain the poses you need to strike for an even application.
Applying Barrier Cream
To prevent tan buildup in dry areas like elbows, knees, and ankles, the technician may apply a thin layer of barrier cream.
The technician will use a spray gun to evenly apply the tanning solution. The process is quick and usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
After the application, you’ll stand in a designated area to allow the solution to dry. This typically takes a few minutes.
You’ll notice an immediate tan effect due to a bronzer in the solution. However, the actual tan develops over the next few hours.
Don’t Forget Your Post-Tan Care
Once you’ve basked in the glory of your stunning tan, keeping it looking fabulous requires a little TLC. After your spray tan, it’s essential to avoid water, sweating, and tight clothing for a specific period to allow the tan to develop properly. Bring loose-fitting, dark-colored clothes to wear after the session, ensuring you don’t smudge the tan. Additionally, bring flip-flops to avoid rubbing the tanning solution off your feet. Here’s how to ensure your tan remains flawless for as long as possible:
- Gentle Towel Patting: After showering, gently pat your skin dry instead of vigorously rubbing. Rubbing can cause friction, leading to premature tan removal.
- Avoid Hot Baths and Pools: Prolonged exposure to hot water and chlorine can strip your skin of its tan. Opt for lukewarm showers and avoid prolonged swims to maintain your glow.
- Hydrate from Within: Drinking plenty of water keeps your skin hydrated and contributes to a longer-lasting tan. Aim for at least eight glasses a day.
- Protect from the Sun: While a spray tan offers a safer alternative to tanning, it doesn’t provide sun protection. Apply sunscreen before heading outdoors to shield your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Moisturize Immediately: After sun exposure, apply moisturizer to replenish hydration and lock in your tan’s luster.
- Avoid Oil-Based Products: Oil-based skincare products can strip your tan. Opt for water-based moisturizers and cleansers to maintain your tan’s vibrancy.
- Mind Your Clothing: Tight clothes and accessories can rub against your skin, causing the tan to fade unevenly. Opt for loose-fitting attire when possible.
- Extend with Gradual Tanners: As your tan naturally fades, gradual tanning lotions can help extend its lifespan while providing a seamless transition.
Essentials for What to Wear to a Spray Tan Session
When gearing up for a spray tan session, selecting the right attire is crucial for achieving a flawless tan.
Consider these essentials to ensure a successful and even tan application:
- Dark, Loose-Fitting Clothing: Opt for loose and dark-colored clothing to prevent the tanning solution from transferring onto your attire. This minimizes the risk of uneven tan lines and allows the solution to develop effectively.
- Bathing Suit or Disposable Underwear: To achieve a seamless tan, wear a dark-colored bathing suit or disposable underwear. This ensures minimal tan lines and offers optimal coverage during the session.
- Minimal Makeup and Accessories: Keep makeup and accessories minimal or remove them entirely before the session. This allows the tanning solution to adhere evenly to your skin, preventing barriers that may affect the outcome.
- After-Tan Attire and Footwear: Bring loose, dark clothes to wear after the session to avoid smudging the developing tan. Additionally, pack flip-flops to protect your feet and prevent any disruption to the tan on the lower extremities.
Preparing for a spray tan is a thoughtful process that can significantly impact the outcome. By exfoliating, choosing the right attire, and following post-tan care, you’re setting the stage for a stunning and long-lasting tan. Embrace your radiant glow, and confidently rock that sun-kissed look, knowing that you’ve taken the necessary steps to achieve a flawless result.