Belloccio Turbo Tan Ultra Pro T85-QC Turbine Tanning Machine
2nd Best Choice
Existing Beauty Bronze Tan Professional Spray Tan Machine
3rd Best Choice
MxiMist Evolution Pro HVLP Spray Tanning System
A spray tanning machine helps you achieve the perfect bronzed glow or tan without requiring you to spend any time under harmful UV rays nor visit the salon every time you need a tan done. This is why you need to snag the best at-home spray tan machine. It helps you get that tanned look without damaging your skin by exposing it to sunlight and better yet, it helps you save tons of money! The advanced technology helps you achieve an even tanned glow, featuring equipment that are versatile, portable, comfortable and fairly easy to use.
Finding the best at-home spray tan machine can be difficult. To make purchasing one easier, here is a low down of the best options you can invest in, along with all the nooks and crannies you need to know about these machines and the buying guide.
6 Best At-Home Spray Tan Machines Worth Investing In
1. Belloccio Turbo Tan Ultra Pro T85-QC Turbine Tanning Machine
Using an at-home spray tan machine for the first time can be rather tricky, and there is all the more reason to get the right tools. This tanning machine from Belloccio is fairly easy to use and ensures a streak-free, natural-looking tan. All you have to do is to connect one end of the 10 feet long air hose to the turbine air pump unit, and the other end to the plastic HVLP spray gun, and voilà! The kit comes with 4 varieties of tanning solutions—3 (8%, 10%, and 12%) DHA solutions and 1 Opulence Tanning Solution so that you can choose a product that works for your skin tone. Plus, it also includes a tanning accessories kit that features everything from feet caps to nose filter plugs.
At-home spray tan machine with 4 different tanning solutions for a bespoke tanning experience.
2. Existing Beauty Bronze Tan Professional Spray Tan Machine
Whether you’re looking for an at-home spray tan machine for a quick pick-me-up or a full-body tanning session, this machine from Bronze Tan can cater to your needs. Hailed as one of the best professional spray tan machines there is, this device is not only easy to use, but it also comes with a spray tan gun, a hose, and a solution-holding bottle as a complete kit. Better yet, you may refer to the self-tanning program guide that comes with the machine for step-by-step instruction, making it easy for you to assemble the machine.
A complete set of at-home spray tan machine that includes a spray tan gun, a hose, a solution-holding bottle and a manual.
3. MxiMist Evolution Pro HVLP Spray Tanning System
Mastering an at-home spray tan machine can’t get any easier than this! This HVLP spray tanning system by MxiMist will give you roughly 25 spray sessions a day, with each full-body tan session that doesn’t last more than 5 minutes. It features a 2-stage variable turbine motor as well as a removable and reusable filter. It also comes with a lightweight aluminium pro spray gun, 11.5 feet long hose, a tent booth, 3 bottles of tanning solutions and fluid-holder bottles. What makes this option stand out from the rest is its distinct ‘EZ connect’ feature—a quick connection adapter—of the hose which stays connected once the spray gun is attached to it. Thanks to that, there’ll be no hose blowing out or disconnecting from the spray gun anymore. Unlike the standard check valves, this system comes with a Duck Bill valve that regulates the solution backflow and minimizes clogging. Whenever you need a little touch up or contouring, simply use the ‘Airbrush’ mode by adjusting the EZ flip knob.
At-home spray tan machine with a unique ‘EZ connect’ feature for the hose to stay connected once the spray gun is attached.
4. Oasis Spray Tan Machine Kit
If you’re always on-the-go, the Oasis Spray Tan Machine Kit is your best bet. It’s very small and compact. The hose-free spray tan system comes with a stainless steel micro mist nozzle and an 8oz tanning solution so there’s no need for a lot of storage room for this product. The Oasis is also fairly simple to use—delivering both horizontal and vertical spray patterns to achieve the best overall spray tan. Better yet, it includes a trigger, knob to stop the flow, and a backflow prevention valve to ensure easy usage.
Despite the size, the gun comes with an extremely powerful mini turbo fan that can stand up to much larger machines. Plus, its micro mist nozzle is able to deliver a streak free tan every time you’re using it either for a quick touch-up or an all-over tan. Simple yet powerful, rest assured that you’ll see desired results with Oasis Spray Tan Machine Kit.
Compact yet powerful hose-free spray tan machine with a stainless steel micro mist nozzle and an 8oz tanning solution.
5. Naked Sun Ion Handheld Spray Tanning Machine
This at-home spray tan machine from Naked Sun is voted Top 1 in the US for delivering the best spray tans using naturally derived tanning solutions which are free of parabens, erythrulose and fragrances that are safe and will not turn orange. Many celebrities endorse this brand as both the best sunless tan and self-tanner there is to buy. In terms of drip-free application, the Naked Sun has you covered. The gun produces a micro-atomized spray to ensure a drip-free spray pattern. There’s no need to worry about spills and waste with this at-home spray tan machine; instead, you’ll focus on creating a flawless glow.
All-in-one spray tan kit with 5 tanning solutions, disposable sandals and a technician duffle bag.
6. Naked Sun Black Fascination FX Spray Tanning Machine System
The Naked Sun Black Fascination FX System boasts a sleek ergonomic design. This at-home spray tan machine features a long, curved handle that’s easy to pick up, hold or carry, as well as sturdy feet you can set down anytime. It’s 8 in depth, 9 in width and 13 in length, making it sturdy and portable enough to transport from one place to another. If you have a go-to solution each time you spray tan, this machine can handle it. The maximum fill line of the cup is 5oz, and you can pour any solution of your choice into it. We love that the solution dial is adjustable in order for you to get the perfect flow.
Ergonomic at-home spray tan machine that accommodates any solution brand.
Types of At-Home Spray Tan Machines
1. HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) Spray Tan Systems
HVLPs are by far the most popular spray tan machines commonly used in salons, mobile and at-home spray tanning. These machines are easy to use and are known for their efficiency, making them capable of providing even and precise applications. If you think achieving a sunless tan in less than 5 minutes is impossible, this type of machine will make you think again. They are built with a high-performance motor with a wattage of 400 W and above.
2. LVLP (Low Volume Low Pressure) Spray Tan Systems
Similar to HVLP systems, LVLP spray tan machines are turbine-driven and require a spray gun to spray solutions. Having said that, these machines operate at a fairly low pressure, meaning you need to be extremely precise while using it. On top of that, when using these machines, your skill level will affect the quality of your spray tan. Compared to HVLP machines, LVLPs require longer time per application, are slightly noisier and pricier.
3. Airbrush Spray Gun Machines
Commonly seen in professional spray tanning salons, these machines operate at higher pressure and deliver more solutions in less time. However, it requires much longer time per application—at least 30 minutes—compared to HVLP and LVLP machines. Plus, the spray guns tend to overspray, causing more solution wastage.
4. Automatic Spray Tanning Booths
This type of spray tan system is an enclosed booth, whereby a person is supposed to enter and stand. It works well for full-body tanning since the booth comes with nozzles on all sides that spray the solutions in the form of mist. Though a session might last only a minute or 2, it’s difficult to get an even tanning.
What are the Benefits of a Spray Tan Machine
- Beginner-friendly and easy to maneuver
- Delivers precise and even coverage
- Provides a longer-lasting sunless tan
- Causes little to no overspray
- Allows you to customize your unique shade
- Enables you to spray tan at the comfort of your own home
- Helps achieve the perfect tan without using a tanning bed or exposing your skon to harmful UV rays.
What to Look for in the Best At-Home Spray Tan Machine
- Materials: Look for at-home spray tanning machines made of sturdy and durable materials, so that it’ll last for a long time.
- Spray Gun: Amongst the most essential components of a spray tanning kit is the spray gun due to the part that sprays the solution. You need to make sure that the cup that comes with the gun is able to hold 2 ounces of spray tanning solution so it covers the entire body, even hard-to-reach body parts. With that being said, remember to not choose a cup size that’s larger than 2 ounces to avoid solution wastage.
- Pressure system: HVLP is the most commonly used spray tanning system in most at-home spray tan machines today because they are more efficient, lighter, quieter, and save more product. On the other hand, the airbrush gun machine and LVLP are comparatively louder and slower.
- Versatility: Whether you’re an expert or beginner, choosing a machine that is versatile can be quite beneficial. Presuming you opt for machines with adjustable spray nozzles or varied speed settings, you’ll be able to control the flow of the solution and speed of the airflow to achieve your desired results. Aside from that, should the machine come with a heat option, your tanning experience will be much more comfortable.
- Cleaning: Many people are reluctant to use tanning machines due to the mess that it can leave behind. Most machines on our list deliver excellent tan while ensuring minimal cleanup. We highly suggest that you opt for one that doesn’t overspray and one whose cups do not leak. Also, since most spray tanning kits come with a leak-proof and stain-resistant tent booth, cleaning up wouldn’t be too energy consuming.
- Comfort: If you are a beginner, opt for a light and small machine because it’s more comfortable to hold and maneuver. Besides, make sure the spray gun handle is ergonomic so it provides a good grip and reduces hand cramps.
- Accessories: It’s always wise to purchase a kit that includes everything you need to achieve a flawless tan without any hassle. Most kits come with spray tanning solutions in various intensities to cater to every skin tone. Other accessories include disposable footpads and nose plugs for protection, and a tent to ensure cleanliness.
Tips and Tricks for Using Your At-Home Spray Tan Machine The Right Way
- Prep your skin: Make sure that you wax or shave at least one day before spray tanning so that your pores don’t absorb the solution and create that dotted appearance.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliate your skin using an oil-free formula a day before the spray tan. This will help create that silky smooth surface for the tan to adhere to and create an even tan sans splotches.
- Avoid wearing deodorant: When you’re applying spray tan, it’s best that you stay away from deodorant. Certain chemicals in the deodorant can react negatively to the spray tan and result in a greenish shade on your underarms.
- Protect your palm and hair: If you don’t want to get any tanning solutions for your palms, apply a barrier cream or baking soda. Ensure to completely cover your hair with a shower cap and apply a little moisturizer on your eyebrows.
- After application: Once the tan has completely dried, wear dark loose clothing to avoid the product from rubbing off on any surface. Plus, you need to wait for approximately 6 to 8 hours for the color to fully develop, which means you can’t shower until then.
- Ventilation: When using an at-home spray tan machine, always do it in a ventilated area. The tan solutions contain DHA, which is said to be safe for the skin, but you may have to be extra cautious when it comes to inhaling the spray as it’s said to cause side effects such as coughing and dizziness.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does a spray tan last?
A single spray tan application can last up to 10 days, but it may vary depending on the brand. Plus, the darker the tan, the longer it’ll last.
2. How safe are spray tans?
Spray tans are safe as long as you use it as directed, All tanning solutions are formulated with DHA, which is FDA-approved and suitable for external applications. DHA or dihydroxyacetone is a chemical that reacts with dead cells on the skin, causing the skin to darken, aka a tan.
3. How long should I wait to shower after a spray tan?
After spray tanning, you should wait for a minimum of 8 hours before taking a shower. Read this article to learn more about showering after tanning.
4. How can I extend the lifespan of my spray tan?
You could use a self-tanning product as a topper to prevent your tan from fading and extend its lifespan by a few days.
5. Will the spray tan get darker over time?
Though this depends on the time of the day you got your spray tan done, there is a high possibility the tan might get dark as time goes on.
6. Does spray tan or airbrush look natural?
Airbrush tanning or at-home spray tanning can deliver a seamless, natural finish, whereas spray tanning done in a booth might result in a tan with orange undertones.
7. What should I do if the spray tan looks too dark?
In that case, apply baby oil or coconut oil. Let it sit for 10 minutes and head for a shower and exfoliate.
8. What should I avoid wearing after tanning?
Do not wear any tight clothing, socks, or shoes to ensure a properly developed tan.
Belloccio Turbo Tan Ultra Pro T85-QC Turbine Tanning Machine
This tanning machine from Belloccio is fairly easy to use and ensures a streak-free, natural-looking tan. The kit comes with 4 varieties of tanning solutions—3 (8%, 10%, and 12%) DHA solutions and 1 Opulence Tanning Solution so that you can choose a product that works for your skin tone. Plus, it also includes a tanning accessories kit that features everything from feet caps to nose filter plugs.